Professional Registration with the American Horticultural Therapy Association
The American Horticultural Therapy Association is the only organization that recognizes and registers horticultural therapists through a voluntary professional registration program. The designation Horticultural Therapist-Registered (HTR) ensures that professional competencies have been achieved based on standardized academic requirements and professional training.
Professional Registration Requirements
To be eligible for professional registration, a candidate must have a bachelor's degree with a concentration in horticultural therapy or a bachelor's degree with the additional coursework that meets the academic requirements as noted in the AHTA Professional Registration Policies and Procedures.
A candidate is also required to have completed a 480-hour supervised internship in horticultural therapy that demonstrates the use of horticulture as a therapeutic modality. For more information about internship requirements and opportunities, please visit Internships in the Horticultural Therapy Education section.
A candidate must be an Associate Member of AHTA at the time of application.
Applications are evaluated by the AHTA Professional Registration Review Board. An applicant is required to complete the online AHTA Professional Registration Application. Official transcripts are required for verification of coursework and a completed, signed internship performance report is required for verification of the internship.
Please note: if you are submitting courses from an educational institution that uses a quarter system as opposed to a semester grading system, a conversion table is available for your use. All AHTA professional registration course requirements use semester hours NOT quarter system credits. Please click here for a conversion chart. If you have any questions, please contact the AHTA office at 610-992-0002.
Once an applicant has been approved for professional registration, AHTA membership must be renewed annually at the Professional level to maintain HTR status.
Complete information for professional registration can be found in the AHTA Professional Registration Policies and Procedures.
Professional Registration Resources
For a list of programs that offer academic coursework in horticultural therapy, please refer to the Horticultural Therapy Education page.
- Click here for AHTA Professional Registration Policies and Procedures
- Click here for a list of suggested course titles applicable to the AHTA knowledge content areas
- Click here for instructions on how to fill out the Application for Professional Registration
- Click here for the Application for Professional Registration
- Click here for the Addendum to Professional Registration Application. This addendum is to be used to submit documents for reapplication after an application for Professional Registration has been denied.
- For a list of current internship supervisors and/or facilities offering internships, please contact the AHTA at or call 610-992-0002.